Monday, November 3, 2008

This is Grace





As you probably know, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila was released from the Packers last week.


Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press Gazette brought us the news, and even more importantly, the grace in which KGB accepted it:


Upon his release, Gbaja-Biamila said in a statement through the Packers: "My nine years as a Green Bay Packer have been a blessing that is beyond words. I thank God for bringing me to this first-class organization and first-class community."

Gbaja-Biamila, a devout Christian, gained a reputation for talking openly about his faith in the locker room. He harbored no bitterness toward the Packers organization. "I don't know what my football future holds, but one thing I've realized is that football is more than a game -- it's about building relationships and changing lives," said Gbaja-Biamila. "One of the commitments I've had throughout my career has been to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and that is something that I intend on doing whether on the field or not. God bless the Green Bay Packers."
(Press-Gazette)

In a March 27, 2008 Marquette Tribune article, Kabeer said, "Christianity should be a verb, not a noun."

It's obvious that KGB's Christian faith is a verb, as we've seen in the grace and integrity shown not only during his years as a Green Bay Packer, but in the days following his release from the team; quite a contrast to what we often see in sports and in life, so filled with loyalty and love when things are going good, but bitterness and selfish pride when the going gets rough.

So thanks, KGB, for modeling what Paul says in Philippians 4:11-12: "I have learned to
be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Thank you for consistently walking the talk. God Bless you wherever you go from here.

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice." Philippians 4:8-9

No comments: