Monday, August 16, 2010

Church According to a 19-Year-Old


In my August 14th blog, I wrote that I would post an email my 19-year-old son wrote to me from New Mexico this summer about the church he attended while working near Santa Fe. Here's his email (printed with his permission) in which he conveys his thoughts about this new church he found:


"When I got there, I first thought it was going to be like one of those emergent new agey kind of churches just because its built in an old warehouse and its really modern looking and such. They have a really nice cafe next door also. However, I was extremely pleasantly surprised when I heard the sermon. Basically, the guy would just take a passage of scripture and explain it really in depth. It was SO biblically based and both weeks I went, the pastor pretty much preached the gospel about Christ as salvation but used different topics to do it. The other thing that was impressive is that he didn't water anything down and he blatantly told it like it is. What really stood out to me the first week is what he said about "seeker sensitive" churches (i think you will like this :D ) He said that a lot of churches teach that everyone is seeking after God and they have a hole in their heart shaped like a cross and people just try to fill that hole with money or sex or material possessions or whatever, but thats a lie. The truth is that, quoting Paul (I think it was Romans) "no one is good, NO NOT ONE." Which means that NOBODY seeks after God. So basically, churches that cater to "seekers" are basically catering to humanity's fallen desire for sin. Which is not good. The only way we can get to God is if God somehow leads us to him, whether it be by a friend or something. He also said there are only two kinds of religions in the world: the human accomplishment religions and the God accomplishment religion. Christianity is a God accomplishment and all the others are based on the accomplishments of humans. There were a lot of other great things he said (which were just taken from the Bible and somehow made more obvious than before) so if you have time I would really recommend listening to the sermon from July 4th and 11th. Those are the only two I have heard, but both were fantastic and really rich. So yeah, thats all :D I'm excited to be home! I'll see you soon."


"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." Luke 10:22

"But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:23-24

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me." John 6:44-45


No comments: