Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Sense of Sin is the Work of Grace


Quote of the Day:

"...when sin is seen and felt, it has received its deathblow, and the Lord looks with eyes of mercy upon the afflicted soul. Nothing is more deadly than self-righteousness or more hopeful than contrition. We must confess that we are 'nothing else but sin,' for no confession short of this will be the whole truth; and if the Holy Spirit is at work in us, convincing us of sin, there will be no difficulty about making such an acknowledgement--it will spring spontaneously from our lips...Digging out the foundation is the first thing in building--and a thorough sense of sin is one of the earliest works of grace in the heart."Charles H. Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

I can personally attest to these words. It was only when I heard the truth of sin presented to me that I understood that sin was my problem! And the answer, too, was presented to me: Jesus. All my life I had been trying to help me when "me" was the problem! Only when I understood that sin is my problem and Jesus my only help did I begin the journey of transformation and regeneration into a new life. Praise God.

"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:1-9

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives." 1 John 1:8-10

No comments: