Thursday, August 17, 2017

Evil



"Preparing for life's challenges demands the regular refocusing of our priorities, dreams, desires, goals, and plans so that they are being brought in line with God's agenda. It involves counteracting the subtle and not-so-subtle attempts by the enemy to get us to think and operate independently of God." 
Tony Evans, pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, Texas, and founder and president of The Urban Alternative. He is also chaplain for the NBA's Dallas Mavericks

On that note, I launch a series on evil. 

I begin with this quote because evil, at its most basic level, is separation from God. 

The enemy can be worldly, satanic, or fleshly. 

I have no intention of solving the problem of evil. I am not of the mind that thinks evil can be eradicated from the planet. I believe it exists, always has existed and always will exist because man has free will to choose it. 

Jesus Himself says,

"In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." John 16:33b

Obviously I cannot exhaust every avenue down which evil travels, nor every house in which it lodges. 

My intent is to heed the words of Paul to the saints at Ephesus, who were faithful in Christ Jesus, to "be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16.



"Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil." Proverbs 3:7


"Let your eyes look directly ahead
And let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
Watch the path of your feet
And all your ways will be established.
Do not turn to the right nor to the left;
Turn your foot from evil." Proverbs 4:25-27


"But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves. I have given them your Word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth." John 17:13-19


"But evil men and imposters will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:13-17






No comments: