Saturday, November 25, 2017

We Can't "Make Up For"


The online dictionary defines the attempt to “make up for” as this:

“serve or act to compensate for something lost, missed, or deficient.”

We, out of our own personal sense of goodness, or attempts to be good, or willing ourselves to be good, cannot atone for past, present and future sins.

We can apologize to others, and even forgive ourselves, but since sin is ultimately committed against God (Psalm 51:4), we must repent of sin to Him for redemption from the sin.

Jesus repeats many times that we must first repent and then be saved. The repentance is to Him, who is Lord God, and salvation is through Him also.

The people who heard Jesus speaking in Luke 18 were amazed to hear that even the rich needed to repent. The rich in that culture were perceived as having received special blessing from God. So if even the rich must repent, the question was asked of Jesus,

“Then who can be saved?” (Luke 18:26).

Jesus answered, simply and beautifully,

“The things that are impossible with people are possible with God” (Luke 18:27).

That is the great triumphant freedom we have in Christ: to have our sins washed away by the blood of Christ.

Why would Jesus repeatedly command people to repent if it were unnecessary?

Yes, he died on the cross for everyone, meaning He opens the door to this freedom in Himself to everyone who—what? Repents.  

How many of us have attempted to assuage all guilt of past mistakes, improprieties, failures, selfish attitudes and ill-will by serving in some capacity?

We think that by teaching Sunday school, delivering Meals-on-Wheels, singing in the choir, serving at the local food pantry or volunteering at the local nature center that we can make up for the regrets and failures of the past.

We run for local office, join the EMT’s, volunteer at the library, hospital or retirement home and knit baby blankets for preemies.

Perhaps we hone a skill like painting or woodwork and attempt to refine our image that way.

The question is, does that do it

Is our guilt assuaged?

Are our past mistakes blotted out? 

Do we actually feel and, more importantly, know we are redeemed?

The answer for me was “No.” 

I, myself, could never redeem myself, and until I met Christ, I never understood this.

But when I did finally meet Christ, I met sin 
(take a look in Scripture at how often people felt personal conviction in the presence of and in their meeting with Christ).

And when I met sin, I met repentance. 

And when I met repentance, I met Christ’s forgiveness.

And when I met Christ’s forgiveness, I met Christ’s redemption. 

And when I met Christ’s redemption, I met Christ’s salvation.

And when I met Christ's salvation, I went from meeting Christ to knowing Him. 

It is rather grandiose of humans to think they can become good of themselves and save themselves of their own volition. That’s rather pompous, and at the same time ignorantly stubborn.

Some folks truly believe that if they roll up their sleeves enough times, dig in and do “good works,” or advocate "kindness," they will magically manufacture 100% pure inner goodness. 

Others simply indulge in personal ambition, striving in their own personal definition of goodness as a way to avoid faith in anything other than themselves.

It is in these delusions in which they choose to live removed from "the way, the truth and the life” that is Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

Copyright Barb Harwood


“Be gracious to me, O God, according to your lovingkindness;
According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
And my sin is ever before me.
Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in your sight,
So that You are justified when You speak
And blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;
Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
O Lord, open my lips,
That my mouth may declare Your praise.
For you do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
You are not pleased with burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.” Psalm 51:1-17



“From that time Jesus began to preach and say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17.



“Seeing their faith, He said, ‘Friend, your sins are forgiven you.’” Luke 5:20



“For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” Luke 14:11



“What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” Luke 15:4-7 
(you can consult commentaries further to understand that “who need no repentance” is to be understood to mean “ninety-nine righteous persons who think that they do not need to repent).



“...I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” Luke 15:10b



“...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works...” Romans 3:23-28a




No comments: