Thursday, December 14, 2017

Think Too Much?


I recently heard a person say that they “think too much and need to stop.”

That’s an interesting thought, something to definitely think about!

I'm not sure what kind of thinking the person was referring to, but since they were feeling the need to stop, it must be having a negative impact on their life.

Obviously not all thinking is bad. One could make the argument that some don't think nearly enough!

I myself, like many people, have always shown a proclivity to ponder, to gaze out the window, to observe.

That's not the same as being a dreamer, where one conjures up “magical what-ifs” or detailed plans and schemes for a chimerical future. Those who ponder simply have the knack for sitting—sometimes for extended periods—taking in what already is or has been and passively reflecting upon it.

This sort of thoughtful considering is what I like to call the innocent pastime of thought. 

Then there is the not so innocent pastime of thought: the commiserating, internalizing, “making molehills into mountains” train of thought that exaggerates, stews on, is perpetually offended, ridicules constantly, picks apart how other people do things and incessantly questions and accuses the motives of nearly everyone.

I call this the merciless intention of a critical spirit.

I found myself in that merciless state of mind quite often before the age of 38, which is the age at which Christ got hold of me.

In the seventeen years since having become a disciple of Christ, I can honestly say that the winnowing away, the cleaning and renewing of my heart and mind, of having a right thought-life instilled within me, has been the most arduous aspect of being a follower of Christ.

And the process, believe me, continues in full force!

But so far—again, with much more regenerating yet to be done—the cleaning of the arteries has been exceedingly rewarding. The benefits are never-ending and constantly enlivening.

How can I describe the first time I was able to sit, finally, among people and refrain from internally critiquing their every move? To calmly watch a person struggle to do something or make a mistake and respond with unlimited patience and even a sense of humor!? Imagine my surprise when I encountered an actual, verifiable fault in someone and did not feel the need to correct, make a comment to or malign in any way!

All because Christ showed me that this is how He first loved me, in the midst of my bad moves, mistakes and verifiable faults.

James expounds a powerful, convicting truth:

“With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be” (James 3:9-10).

This cursing might remain verbally unspoken, but if we speak it to ourselves in our hearts, it is spoken nonetheless, and often comes to light in an attitude of ill will toward another.

This kind of “too much thinking” derives from a hardened and darkened heart. In order to attack the thinking (and the words that may result) we attack the source, the heart:

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such ‘wisdom’ does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere" (James 3:13-17 emphasis added).

Jesus said:

“You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’
Jesus called the crowd to him and said, ‘Listen and understand. What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them’” (Matthew 15:7-11, emphasis added).

Jesus was supporting the truism:

“The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?” Jeremiah 17:9

In answer to that last question, “Who can understand the heart?” The answer is God.

“I, the LORD, search the heart,
I test the mind,” (Jeremiah 17:10a).

“And he said to them, ‘You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts; for that which is highly esteemed among men is detestable in the sight of God” (Luke 16:15).

“But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people. He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person” (John 2:24-25).

“And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith” (Acts 15:8-9).

At this point, I’m shaking in my boots! In a good way, though, because conviction of our hearts is what cleanses our hearts.

Our culture is so afraid of shame and feeling personally bad about ourselves. But folks, let me be very honest here, shame and feeling personally bad before God is the only thing that will make way for us to ever feel joy, love and confidence before God and to ever be able to love others as ourself. 

Certainly we will be downcast as our sin is exposed through the Spirit of Christ. The battle with our thought life may be a vicious one, like it has been and still is at times for me.

But we are not to remain discouraged or daunted.
  
And as we experience victory over the sin, we may feel disconsolate at times from having sinned in the past, and perhaps having hurt others in the process. We can turn then to the Psalms, understanding that we are forgiven:

“Why are you so downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God” (Psalm 42:5-6a; repeated in verse 11 and Psalm 43:5).

We press on toward the goal, as Paul writes in Philippians 3, aware that we have not yet achieved it but are in the process of achieving it. That means that we are actually seeing progress, and as we do, we go on to achieve more, not striving in our own power, but willingly obeying the Spirit of Christ moment by moment.

Which brings me back to what I began with, thinking too much: specifically, thinking unproductive thoughts that breed discourse and darkness, causing us to turn away from God.

The Bible gives wisdom, if we so choose to follow it, on how to put aside the insidious indulgences and unholy urges of the mind and heart. In other words, how to stop, indeed, thinking too much!:

“Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.” (Philippians 4:1 emphasis added)

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (4-9, emphasis added)

In this way

"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5).




No comments: