Thursday, April 19, 2018

Moving on From the Past, With or Without the Reconciliation of Others


For most folks, the past is like a chewed piece of gum that we step on on a 90-degree day. That gum oozes between and fills the treads of our shoe, and the more we attempt to rid ourselves of it with a stick, the more it spreads, even to our hands and clothes. In short, it becomes a hot mess.

As Christians, one of the ways we allow the past to stick to the present is when we assume that, since we have forgiven ourselves for who we once were and things we once said and did, and God has forgiven us, the people from our past with whom we still interact will too

And when they don't, up goes the guard rail, blocking us from the reconciliation with others that begins with our accepting them where they currently are. 

And where they currently are is this: they don't accept who we are today and, for whatever reason, cannot go to the place of reconciliation with us. 

That is what we need to be okay with in order to move on from the past. 

That’s where I find myself at this stage of the Christian walk: recognizing that other people may not see the change in me, or want to see the change, or don’t believe the change, or hate the change in me. And thus, they have not forgiven me for whatever it is I was to them in the past or they cannot forgive me for who I have become today.

I see now that my response to their reticence has been to revisit aspects of the past: asking myself what I could have done differently, ruminating on where they were at fault, and on and on. 

In great determination I would conjure up new ways to love them: invites to coffee, letters and expressions of love and affirmation.

And while those efforts were sincere and good, when the relationship didn’t improve, I felt that I couldn’t stop picking at old wounds until mutual reconciliation had occurred. 

It was one step forward in loving others, but two steps back when I didn’t receive love in return. The past would come flooding over me once again.

But now I see that my fleshly insistence on receiving affirmation only stagnated me in my desire to progress in living out the love of Christ. I see now that I must progress, I can progress and move on from the past once and for all—either with, or without, reciprocity on my attempts at brokering peace and making amends with others.

I am reconciled with God and thus, with myself. Reconciliation yet may come with others, but I no longer need or expect it.

As I move forward into each new day, and live more and more in the humility of Christ’s love for myself and others, I am seeing that sometimes—often times—for others it is too little too late. And I need to embrace that, especially for those who don’t understand the giving or receiving of forgiveness from Christ’s perspective. 

We can’t expect others to cope in ways that we only learned, and were made well by, in Christ. In complete understanding, I hold them in compassion, not contempt.

And in that, reconciliation to other people on my end has occurred. Finally, I can let the past, in all its entirety, go

Lewis Carroll once said,

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

We can’t expect other people to get that, and ought not be disappointed when they don’t. But we can rejoice and take confidence in the full assurance that Christ certainly does get it. In fact, He’s the one who made our being a different person today, possible.

Copyright Barb Harwood



“Do not fret because of those who are evil
or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the LORD,
and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
your vindication like the noonday sun.” Psalm 37:1-6


“Do not call to mind the former things,
Or ponder things of the past.
‘Behold, I will do something new,
Now it will spring forth;
Will you not be aware of it?’” Isaiah 43:18-19a


“Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” 2 Corinthians 5:17-21


“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” Galatians 2:20


“Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.” Philippians 3:12-16


 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9




No comments: