Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Joy to the World
















I've been going through boxes of old stuff, finding everything from my kindergarten report card to oodles of notes written by my best childhood friend. And then I came across my 1976 public junior high school Christmas concert program. Here's the wording on the front:

Ben Franklin Junior High Music Department presents A Christmas Concert

Underneath those words is a drawing of two church bells decorated with a bow.

I opened the program and read the listing of songs that were sung: "Who was Born," "Japanese Christmas Carol," "Christmas Bell Carol," "Christmas is Here," "English Carol Dance," "Angels We Have Heard on High," "Carol of the Drum," "Carol of the Questioning Child," (acted out by a boy playing the child and three girls playing angels), "Bethl’em Lay a-Sleeping," "Cradled in a Manger," "Do You Hear What I Hear," "Joy to the World," and "Silent Night."

At the bottom of the inside of the program is the salutation, "Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

If the PC police had been out and about back in 1976, this concert would've never happened. Let me ask this question: are we any better off as a nation, culture or society because we removed the singing of Christmas carols from our public schools and stopped calling Christmas, Christmas? Are we better off today than when students sang these songs in 1976?

"Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: 'The Lord knows those who are his...'" 2 Timothy 2:19

No comments: