Thursday, April 8, 2010

Social Justice in Biblical Terms











Social Justice is a term we’re hearing a lot of lately. Glenn Beck made some comment about it on his show, which I don’t watch, so I’m not sure what the brouhaha is about there—I only saw the headlines. USA Today ran an April 5 piece on social justice, and liberal theology has founded itself on this term for years. I don’t know why the words are suddenly mainstream, as if it’s something new. I do think it’s one of those constructs that people have to be careful with because it is interpreted in many different ways.

So I did some research, and found what for me as a born again Christian is the perfect and right definition of social justice. You can read it here: (well worth the time)

http://thebigpicture.homestead.com/SocialJustice.html


To me, there is no social justice if the hope, love and eternal life available through Jesus Christ is not shared right along with the clothes, shoes, water, shelter and food. Like I always say, relief workers and volunteers eventually leave and the people they have helped must continue on, many in the same oppressive circumstances they’ve always lived in. However, when we share with them the Good News of Jesus Christ, they won’t have to go forward alone and without hope. They can know that Jesus died for them and understands what they’re going through. They can hear Him in His own words say,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Come to Me, Jesus says, to each and every person on the face of the globe. That is social justice at its truest and purest, promised and freely given by the author of social justice Himself, Jesus Christ.

"Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
John 4:13-14



No comments: