Monday, May 9, 2016

Condemning God to Justify Oneself


This morning, I read the following in the book of Job:

“Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm:
‘Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.
Would you discredit my justice?
Would you condemn me to justify yourself?’” Job 40:6-8

It struck me that discrediting and condemning God is exactly what keeps many people from Him.

This is why, more likely than not, most people must come to the end of themselves before they can accept a saving faith in Christ. Where self-justification ends, Christ's justification begins. 

I say a “saving” faith because many people may have had faith, but it didn’t save them because it was self-created, or a faith of tradition or rote church attendance. And that kind of faith is like a house built on sand: it cannot withstand the winds, rain and floods of life (Matthew 7:24-27).



"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." Romans 8:1-2


No comments: