Sunday, November 21, 2021

A Question to Ask Ourselves

 


"We strive and reach out in ways that aren't good for us." 

The above quote is from a sermon of a pastor who led a church I once attended. 

The quote dates from 2007, and during the course of the last year or two, I finally understand what the pastor was getting at. 

His insight serves, I believe, as a really thoughtful impetus for each of us to "Take-stock-of-where-I'm at" and address "Why-I-feel-out-of-sorts no-matter-what-I-do-or-think-I-ought-to-do."  

For me, it helped immensely to turn his quote into a question:

"How am I striving and reaching out in ways that aren't good for me?"

Which, in order to arrive at the answer, led me to yet another question:

"What are my motivations for striving and reaching out? And are those motivations resulting in my striving and reaching out in ways that aren't good for me?"



copyright Barb Harwood




No comments: