Saturday, April 21, 2018

Political Zealousnes


I was once at an outdoor barbecue attended by those affiliated with a particular corporation. One woman, a teacher in the public schools, in an attitude of great satisfaction, shared how, when she was in close proximity to a Wisconsin state politician, yelled out to him, “I hate you!”

Whether I agree politically with the person she hated or not, I was completely taken aback that this grown, mature adult (and mentor to youth) would yell those words to anyone, much less admit it to a group of people she didn’t even know.

The only thing I can call it is political zealousness.

There are people—those who would be the first to volunteer to sing Kumbaya amidst a circle of flickering “peace” candles—who think nothing of sanctimoniously using the word “hate,” along with libelous name-calling, when it comes to voicing their vituperation of someone with whom they are politically opposed.

I have heard others, regular visitors to places of worship, do the same.

The perpetrators of such vilification can be found on both sides of the political spectrum. Where it is less common, if to be found at all, is in the middle, where I like to hope most of us reside.

Basically, the indication that someone has devolved into political zealousness is this:

Not being able to refrain from instigating a political discussion at a funeral.
Not being able to refrain from instigating a political discussion at a wedding.
Not being able to refrain from instigating a political discussion at a Christmas brunch.
Not being able to refrain from instigating a political discussion at a baptism.
Not being able to refrain from instigating a political discussion at a birthday party.
Not being able refrain from instigating a political discussion, period.

I think we get the picture.

It doesn’t seem to matter what is being discussed. We could be in a delightful reminiscence of having watched the movie Ratatouille, and the politically zealous will party-poop all over the discussion by immediately bringing up their disdain for French President Emmanuel Macron. Or, being a supporter of Macron, they will vilify those who call him “unfair.”

Honestly, my preferred-but-unspoken response is,
“Really? And we were having such a lovely conversation about a mouse-chef in Paris.” 

Sigh.

This isn’t to say there is never a time to discuss politics.

This is to emphasize that mature discernment, along with even the most basic level of emotional intelligence, dictates tact and timing. This assumes knowing and respecting one’s audience.

“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.” Philippians 2:3-7

But so many folks cannot step away from their political soapbox. Why?

Political zealousness is incredibly narcissistic. The underlying issues in this person’s life, and the lack of contentment and gratitude that resides there, guarantee that the politically addicted’s comments will take precedence over Aunty Jane’s death, cousin Robbie’s wedding and one-month-old Belinda’s baby dedication.

We in the middle have all, I’m sure, been at gatherings where we—knowing what’s coming across the room in the form of Chicken Little—quickly Exit Stage Left.

We do this because we know it isn’t the time or the place to discuss politics, and because we’ve heard all the dour dirges before from this person. 

The spinners of the broken record aren’t interested one iota in what you or I or anyone else thinks; they only want to dump their grievances, yet again, about the only thing, apparently, going on in their life: a proverbial falling sky due to “bad” people in office.

We walk away because we understand the comments are neither constructive nor having any impact whatsoever on worldly affairs or in helping the disenfranchised. Their words are merely a fly in the ointment of what are intended to be otherwise warm and connecting moments and minglings between fellow human beings.

If the political zealot were truly concerned about others, they’d put their money where their mouth is and think about others before they launch into their personal political tirade. Having done that, they would reconsider and realize that this event, day, gathering, or group of people is not about them and their political viewpoint, and is, in fact, greater and more important than politics.

They would find something else to talk about or not say anything at all.

Believe me when I say I know of what I speak. I, too, once self-promotionally inserted political signs into the lush, virgin green earth of my front yard.

I once listened to talk radio.

I once declared myself to be of a certain political party.

And yes, I once felt hatred towards proponents of ideologies that I distained. And when I felt that hatred morphing into hate, I got up one day, turned off talk radio and, in a very contrite, distressed and distraught spirit, slumped down before God for a major league time out.

I was completely convicted that I, who call myself a Christian, had allowed my mind to be seduced by political zeal.

Mortified and disgusted, I repented to God and asked Him to show me a new way.

And He did. And He has. And He continues to do so.

Since the last political sign was yanked out of my yard years ago, television news, one-sided publications, talk radio and any allegiance to a political party has disappeared as well.

And now I can confidently say I am in the middle, understanding fully what Jesus said when he answered,

“Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and to God the things that are God’s” (Matthew 22:21).

I vote, but I also personally invest the time to study the politicians who are running before I vote, never taking anyone’s word for anything (including news reports), but seeking out as many original sources as I can in order to get to the truth of a matter.

This takes work. It doesn’t rely on Facebook or sound bites. It means checking my predispositions and presuppositions at the door. It means testing everything and everyone against Scripture to make as holy of a decision as I can. And it remembers that those who run for, and serve in office are fallible human beings made in the image of God, just like me.

And then I look to my own life as it impacts, or is able to impact, the world. And I understand where I have no impact, and stop the handwringing. 

I live as Christ would have me to, realizing I am never going to save the world, or single-handedly change the political condition. 

But I can single-handedly seek and try to live God’s will right where I am, surrounded with the people God has placed in my life, be they close by or residing in a distant land.

“He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8

Notice that the verse says to “do” justice (and if we are doing, then why the incessant dripping of rain and finger pointing?)

“Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel even more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.” 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12

It also says to love kindness:

“To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. For, ‘THE ONE WHO DESIRES LIFE, TO LOVE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, MUST KEEP HIS TONGUE FROM EVIL AND HIS LIPS FROM SPEAKING DECEIT. HE MUST TURN AWAY FROM EVIL AND DO GOOD; HE MUST SEEK PEACE AND PURSUE IT.’” 1 Peter 3:8-11

And finally, it says to walk humbly with God.

Political zealousness, which ultimately reveals the condition of the heart, misses the mark on all counts.


Copyright Barb Harwood



“Watch over your heart with all diligence,
For from it flow the springs of life.
Put away from you a deceitful mouth
And put devious speech far from you.
Let your eyes look directly ahead
And let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
Watch the path of your feet
And all your ways will be established.
Do not turn to the right nor to the left;
Turn your foot from evil.” Proverbs 4:23-27




No comments: